Monday, April 07, 2003

No. It demonstrates the problems of asserting one's social agenda before God's salvation agenda.

For Lutherans, sola scriptura holds that the scriptures alone indicate the way to salvation. Thus, scriptures are the authority by which church doctrine and authority are to be judged. It does not say that scriptures prescribe all aspects of living a Christian life.

Although I am not versed in Hooker, I am inclined to think from the bits you have posted and what little I know that there would not be too much, if any, disagreement between Luther and Hooker. There is a great deal of disagreement between the Lutheran position and the Calvinist position, which is where I believe your ire is directed.

Thus, disappointing though it is, I don't think there's too much disagreement between us. My point was sola scriptura keeps one focused on "the healing voice of Christianity charity", which is to say the salvation found in our Lord Jesus Christ. If the priests who have you blood a-roiling were actually practicing sola scriptura, they would be preaching not on how the Gospel applies to social issues, but how the Gospel applies to salvation.

No comments: