Monday, April 07, 2003

About 10-11 years ago, when I was an undergraduate, I stopped going to the campus Catholic Church because of ... well, a number of things, but that would take many messages. Instead, I began attending the local church nearby, while friends of a similar mind as myself remained at the campus Mass. The Gospel that day dealt with wealth and worldly goods. My pastor said, "This does not mean to give away all your things..." On campus, the college pastor told his student parishioners to give away their things, like stereos and televisions. Needless to say, my friends began joining me in the other parish and never attended campus services again.

Doesn't this illustrate the danger of sola scriptura? Both the danger of multiple interpretation (and private judgement) and no application of Christian history and traditions?

No comments: