Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Indeed, cocktails are "near and dear" to the Doctor & Co., although I hesitate to jump on board the Manhattan-bound train. I've always found it a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Classic Martinis are the trick, and classic does not mean vodka; shame on you, James Bond. To do this correctly, several things are important:

1. Use good gin, not outrageously expensive and ostentatious gin. Bombay Sapphire at $18, stored in your freezer, will work lovely. I, for one, do not trust people who prefer vodka over gin.
2. Don't make it too dry. It is, after all, a cocktail, a mixed drink. Try it with a dab more dry vermouth, around a 4/1 or 3/1 ratio gin/vermouth. To order them bone dry, dripping-spraying-waving the vermouth over the glass, is silly. I make them "wet" (or sweet, if you must) so I can taste both liquors.
3. I also do not buy the "if you shake it, you bruise the gin" line. Shake away and mix it up.
4. Garnish with two olives on a toothpick. As Johnny Carson wisely said, "Happiness is finding two olives in your martini when you are hungry."
5. Avoid any other garnishes and tricks to cloud the drink -- apples, chocolate, etc.

Drink and repeat -- a wise aunt always tells me, "Tee martoonis, please."

No comments: