Thursday, April 03, 2003

Is anyone else getting tired of hearing the following, meant to be the clincher of a deep-thinking argument?

Deep Thinker (with a weary sniff): "Well, you can't expect the Iraqis' to establish a Jeffersonian Democracy."

Let's leave aside what they really mean by that. Who cares; though, mind you, I doubt if pressed they would opt for red-knuckled Thugocracy, or gold-plated Kleptocracy.

The important thing, for Dr. Curmudgeon & Co., is to have the right historical analogy to slam back across the conversational net. So the next time someone says that to me, I am going to say, ?Yes, I quite agree with you. I see no need for an agrarian utopia with neoclassical architecture, a hierarchical educational system, strict international neutrality and a separation of church and state? desirable as those might be. I prefer a Hamiltonian democracy in which international trade is established, Iraq places itself firmly within the sole hyperpower?s sphere of influence, pays off its outstanding debts and encourages the growth of industry with the understanding that it cannot live forever on its oil fields.?

I invite you to try that response as well.

No comments: