Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Worried over dipping population numbers, Scotland has hired public relations experts to concoct a jazzy new national slogan for the 21st century. The new slogan will be part of a wider advertising campaign to get people to visit and settle, and see Scotland as a modern, cutting-edge spot. Message to the Scots: no one wants to visit there for modern conveniences, the latest fashions, or the newest technology. Run in the other direction and blitz the world on how Scotland is the quietest, quaintest, most charming place on earth. If I saw an ad telling me Edinburgh was a modern city, I'd reply to the television, "well why the heck would I want to go there?"

And maybe it is the curmudgeon in me (or too many years driving in Boston and DC), but if I saw demographic numbers dipping and population bleeding away, I'd say "good." The less crowding, traffic, and sprawl the better. Harumph!

Say a prayer for David Brudnoy, one of the most intelligent and civilized radio hosts in the business, quite sick but hopefully recovering.

No comments: