Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Summer Reading

Well, if the Doctor is finally going to read Leo Strauss (and I might add it's about time, considering the amount of acerbic comments I have heard from him regarding Straussians) I promise to read J.G.A. Pocock, particularly The Machiavellian Moment. I started, but have not got beyond the first ten pages. This happened with The Portrait of a Lady, as well; in that instance it took me about five years to get beyond the first five pages. But when I finally did, I devoured the rest. Alas, it has been quite some time since I devoured a work of historical study. These days I nibble at the introduction and conclusion, and graze in the chapters. Such is the requirement of reading for the production of a dissertation. It would be nice to really tear freely into something. Perhaps Pocock can be that something.

We shall hope so.

No comments: