Monday, May 05, 2003

Re: Scientist Nice, Humanists Nasty
Well, duh. I've known this since I was in college where I minored in the study of this subject, while I majored in a humanity and a science.

Pray don't misunderstand. I have the greatest respect, affection, and admiration for most of the professors who had the misfortune to instruct me in the humanities, but I adored most of the science profs. With some notable exceptions, they were brilliant, humble, approachable people, and it didn't matter to them if you were top of the class (which I wasn't), at the bottom (occasionally), or in the squidgy middle (my ground of choice). I spent minutes, many of them awkward, talking to humanities professors. They were kind, but I always felt they were just waiting for me to leave so they could get back to the latest journal article. I spent hours shooting the breeze with the science professors, because they seemed genuinely interested in talking to me

I found the difference intriguing, because I was a weak science student, but a strong humanities student, but perhaps the reason was that, even with the science crowd, I talked about the humanities. (Science professors are a well read lot.) For the humanities professors, this would have been talking shop to an able student, but still a student, but for the science professors, it was just fun.

However, you could see the divide forming even among the majors in my class. The humanist majors tended to work alone and not "share with the other children." The science geeks were much more open in collaborative efforts, especially if they weren't pre-meds.

To be sure there are prize #$*^@ in the science world, whose arrogance and pomposity have no boundaries, but overall I'd say there are fewer than there are in the humanities.

No comments: