Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I won't accept any congratulations just yet, but I must say I am dazed, confused, and somewhat frightened about the World Series thus far. I figured the games would be close, probably a 6 or 7 game slugfest.

But 3-0 Red Sox? This has been almost too easy. And I have never witnessed, in my 20 odd years as a Red Sox fan, a time when every bounce goes their way, every gaffe they commit is harmless, and every gaffe the Cards commit is fatal.

Everything is going their way. They bumble into 4 errors game 1, and win. They repeat another 4 errors in game 2, and win again. They put a weak defensive first baseman (Ortiz) in the game to keep his bat in the lineup, and he plays flawlessly. The Cardinals' pitcher, who has batted all year in the NL, commits an mind-bendingly bad baserunning blunder off third (I don't remember ever seeing a player hesitate and then get thrown out after the opposing team was conceding the run -- never) in game 3, killing any chance of a rally. Things never happen this way for Boston. Never, ever, ever.

But now they are.

I am frankly not used to this. And the idea of winning, well, I am just not prepared for this. I have some champagne in the house, so that may come out.

All thrilling and terribly, terribly scary. I want it to happen, desperately so, but what's on the other side?

No comments: