Friday, March 26, 2004

No, you're not a doctor

You should be reluctant to use Doctor as a title. Why? It's un-American.

I defer to the ultimate authority in these matters, the divine Miss Manners:

Dear Miss Manners: I have a Ph.D. in astrophysics. Once in a while, I like to introduce myself as "Dr. Jones." My wife has lately informed me, however, that society reserves the title of "doctor" only for medical professionals, not Ph.D.s. Is she correct? Should I avoid introducing myself as "doctor" so as not to give the false impression that I am an M.D.?

Gentle Reader: No, you should avoid introducing yourself as "doctor" to avoid giving the impression that you are a pompous fool. Your wife is correct that, traditionally, the medical title is the only one used socially. Miss Manners' point is that it is socially pompous to use any title in regard to oneself.

I know, work with, and am fond of many Ph.D.s.; some I even respect, but the ones I do respect, I respect, not because they have a Ph.D., but because of their knowledge and character. Almost inevitably, I have found that those who do not insist upon being called "Dr." are far more brilliant than those who do. Why? Because they are willing to be judged on their actual merits and not the pretensions of a title.

Most who insist upon being called "Dr." if not "Dr. Dr." really want to be known as: "Most revered, esteemed, and awe-inspiring Dr. before whose unrivalled genius I, a miserable worm, quail into a subservient kowtow." and generally they are the ones who least deserve it. I give you my high school principal who INSISTED on being called "Dr. X." He had put in the time and effort ,and all those other things about which Ph.D.s whine they have done, and so he demanded that he should be called "Doctor".

I am sure it did take a great deal of time and effort to acquire that doctorate in bus transportation from Nova Southeastern University. And he certainly used those acquired skills every morning when he marched outside to wave in the waiting buses.

In contrast, I have a friend who has her Ph.D. in economics, and she refuses to use the title "Dr." because she thinks it's a silly pretension in social situations. The kicker on this one is that she actually would have an excuse to use it because she is European. In Europe, especially the Germanic countries, "Doctor" for Ph.D.s has a long history of usage in social situations.

But we are not German, and American PhDs who use Dr. as a social title are as pretentious as those Americans who use their cutlery in the European fashion.

But for those who think etiquette is bunk and not the world's oldest virtue by all means use the title "Dr." socially in America; just be aware that when they find out you're not a medical doctor, most children and quite a few adults might think you wave in buses.




No comments: