Monday, March 29, 2004

Authority Strikes Back

My dear Jennifer, Esq.:

A splendid retort, with that feisty family edge I have come to know so well from being flailed repeatedly by brother and sister. So many scars. Several things to clear up the fog:

1.) You say your respect for me as a Doctor of Philosophy ends once I leave the grounds of the academy. At that point, I lose any and all authority I have "because, to put it bluntly, outside the scope of the academy, you have no authority besides that of your character." If by that you mean I cannot tell you to write me an essay, you are quite correct. If by that you mean I am no longer an authority on certain things, you are quite incorrect. Further, and this seems to be the crux of our very civil disagreement, you seem to be saying that because I am an authority on certain things (out of the ordinary from others) this carries no social meaning. Extra-ordinary expertise gives me no expectation of greater respect in the wider community, and Ph.D.s and ditch diggers mingle together in cocktail parties. Doctors leave hospitals as doctors, doctors leave campuses as misters and misses. Medical knowledge goes a long way; it stretches from work to the house. Humanities are left on my desk.

But this is certainly incorrect and contrary to normal practice. Plenty of academics are revered outside the gated walls for their wit and wisdom, are shown a great deal of respect in social settings, and have every right (based on expertise and accomplishment) to expect some degree of deference and respect based on their unique position. I can hear you now, growling about expecting people to come on bended knee, but that is certainly not the point here. Manners and courtesy would seem to demand a respect for others' accomplishments and for their standing in the community relative to others. Arthur Schleisinger may introduce himself at parties as "Arthur," but certainly when being introduced by others at that party they say, "this is Doctor Schleisinger." Then, if he chooses, he waves off the "Doctor" and says, "call me Arthur." Seems harmless.

Thus, I disagree with the strange calculus of the limited social authority of Ph.D.s. It seems (a.) silly in its inconsistency and petty egalitarianism, and (b.) contrary to normal practice. I defer to you on the law, you defer to me on, well, Jacksonian America. Or something like that.

(2.) You say: "In American society, were I a ditch digger and you an academic, within our generations we are still social equals. For you to presume authority over me solely by virtue of your education would be most offensive and quite wrong." First of all what have I done, merely by introducing myself as a doctor, to offend you? I did not say, "I'm Doctor Curmudgeon, and I am brilliant." You assume the use of the title infers egotistic motives (Dr. X, what have you done?), that there is a subtext to my introduction, when I could be merely expressing a reality (I am a doctor) and am quite a humble person. Socrates said (paraphrasing here) the wise man knows there is so much more to learn, that despite all his accomplishments the known was dwarfed by the unknown. I have made no hubristic pronouncements about my superiority. I know what I know, and seek to know what I do not. It is possible to think of oneself as (heaven forfend the self-centeredness) a doctor and be humble.

It is your use of "offensive" that sticks with me, with all its moral implications of wrong-doing and shame. You almost look upon the title as a weapon used in social circumstances to humble the peons.

(3.) The "egregious Dr. X" has certainly spoiled your opinion of non-medical Ph.D.s, that if you've seen one you've seen them all. Or at least to guard against other "Dr. X's" (ie. prospective bus wavers) lessen their social status relative to medical doctors.

(4.) Since I am at work currently, I cannot refer to my 1940 book of etiquette, but I will do so later tonight and reference any further mentions of non-medical doctors in social settings. As to what I quoted you earlier: Assistant professors and instructors are always addressed as 'Mr.' Full professors are addressed as 'Professor' in the vicinity of the college or whenever they are engaged in educational work elsewhere. Otherwise they too are given the title 'Mr.' The title 'Doctor' should be carefully reserved and used only in addressing persons who hold a doctor's degree. Your "close reading" ( I am guessing here) sticks on the "educational work elsewhere" phrase, seeing "elsewhere" as a social setting. Note however where it comes in the reading, directly before addressing doctors, not after. Why wasn't it before? Perhaps because doctors are different from misters?

(5.) And finally (phew), regarding the Molnar quote (and it is Doctor Molnar, by the way -- sheesh, what do you think this is a cocktail party or something?), you bend a bit. You now give social standing to elders -- how much older do I have to be, by the way? If I was a fifty-year old Ph.D. historian, would you still consider me a pretentious twit if I introduced myself as doctor? Somehow I think so. Molnar seeks to bolster respect for authority he sees dwindling in the post-1968 West, where no one respects traditional social roles and the healthy, historically-proven authority they bring for social functioning: fathers and mothers, teachers and professors (oops, doctors), generals and politicians, priests, nuns, and ministers. Both of you see the same problem ("we cannot tell merit from the lack of it") and go in opposite directions. Dr. Molnar gives the benefit of the doubt to a person's social role and assigns authority to their position; you take nothing for granted and, at least in those of the same generation, demand social equality so nasty Dr. X's are exposed. He attempts to save social authority despite abuses, you attempt to destroy it because of abuses. Not all authority is earned, not should it be.

I should mention in closing that I have not done what I am arguing for, fearing the lash of Jennifers out there on the watch for social pretentiousness. All I want to do is poke and prod this a bit, to see what's at the heart of our prejudices here.

My undying respect for your patience and wit,

Doctor Curmudgeon

PS: At Georgetown parties, is Condi Rice introduced to fellow revelers as "Dr. Rice" or "Mrs. Rice?" Just wondering.

No comments: