Tuesday, December 02, 2003

He wasn't an Oxford don, but Saintsbury did live a rather long life, 88 robust years. And if he wasn't reading, writing, or lecturing at Edinburgh (surely a city almost as charming as Oxford, although it's been over 20 years since I was there), he was drinking. I have yet to get a copy of his Notes on a Cellar-Book, but it's on my list. Here is a short snippet I just found, with Doctor Saintsbury speaking of beer: In the year 1875, when I was resident at Elgin, I and a friend now dead, the Procurator-Fiscal of the district, devoted the May “Sacrament holidays,” which were then still kept in those remote parts, to a walking tour up the Findhorn and across to Loch Ness and Glen Urquhart. At the Freeburn Inn on the first-named river we found some beer of singular excellence: and, asking the damsel who waited on us about it, were informed that a cask of Bass had been put in during the previous October, but, owing to a sudden break in the weather and the departure of all visitors, had never been tapped till our arrival.

Oh my, to be there on that trip. Here is the complete link.

No comments: