Monday, September 22, 2003

Well, Isabel certainly made my life challenging. My wife and I were supposed to attend a wedding in Washington DC on Saturday, arriving at our hotel on Friday afternoon. Because of the weather, we didn't leave on Friday at all; instead, we hung by the internet and telephone getting updates on how the District was faring. I had my doubts we'd be going at all.

But late Friday, we decided to make a run for it. We awoke at 1am, left NH at 230am, and worked our way through the fog. I thought we'd be ok, but about the 5 hour mark, construction delayed us an hour (3 lanes down to 1), then I took the wrong exit, mistakenly opting for the express lane (they've changed the road since I'd been there last in 2000). This meant I passed every exit I wanted to take, so we pressed on, taking the "scenic route" and losing another hour. Then just as we were getting close, there was an accident, losing us another 45 minutes. Just to rub it in, as I came up to the accident scene (a Winnebago trailer rollover) -- 5 cars from getting past it -- the cops stopped the traffic to let the wrecker flip it back over. Nothing seemed to be going right for us.

So, what normally was an 8 hour drive, took 11 hours. The wedding was lovely, but the power outrages had knocked out the A/C at the reception. There was much sweating. We were so tired that we left at 930pm, the first guests to leave I think. To complete the whirlwind tour, we awoke at 630am yesterday, jumped back in the car, and came back to ole' dame NH. 40 hours total, about 20 in the car, 8 sleeping, the rest at assorted locations in DC and VA.

I slept well last night.

No comments: