Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Yarr

I'm involved in a little pirate shindig a few weeks from now and was idly surfing the Internet when I ran across this:

Grog Recipe

Ingredients
2floz rum
1 organic sugar lump
the juice of half an organic lemon
2 cloves
small stick of cinnamon

Method
Put all the ingredients into a heat proof mug and fill with boiling water. If preferred serve in a strong tumbler when the drink has cooled a little (so as not to break the glass).


And then it struck me. What? No organic rum? Is no distillery fulfilling this vital need?

Update: Google answers all questions. There is not one but at least three organic rums.

First from the island of Grenada, Rivers Royal Grenadian Rum .

And then from deepest Paraguay (yet in a Sainsbury's near you!) (Note also the organic gin and vodka.)

And best yet an organic AND fair trade rum from Brazil!

How my little libertarian friends would cheer at this happy news of yet another triumph of the market, if they didn't loathe organic food almost as much as they loathe NASA. I am opposed to the organic loonies foisting organic foods on everyone, but you want to pay twice the price for organic out of your own pocket, I say God bless and don't mind me as I roll about on the floor laughing in the line behind you when you purchase "organic" ethyl alcohol for health reasons. (Have you not seen Bruce Ames' work on what causes cancer?)

No comments: