Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Off the Grid


During the great grid meltdown the Wash Po had an article by the sometimes amusing Joel Achenbach in which he related this vignette:

"(True story: Several years ago, when Bethesda lost power for several days due to an ice storm, a highly educated lawyer discovered to his astonishment that a neighbor had made a cup of coffee. "How did you do that?" he asked. She said she boiled water. But how did you boil water? he asked. She said she had a gas stove. Stunned, he said he had a gas stove, too, but noted that it had an electronic ignition to create a spark. She said, "I used a match." In a state of nature, this man would be eaten alive by field mice.)"

Naturally, I chortled, but I thought to myself that this man was doubtless an aberration, the result of too much law school.

Last evening, we had a stimulating storm that knocked out the power. Accustomed as I am to power outages, I revved up the candles and continued to read about malaria vaccine development. (Fascinating stuff, BTW). My housemate arrived home about a half hour later having successfully managed to avoid get smashed by tree branches on the drive home.

After a discussion of storm related details, she mentioned that she regretted the fact that she couldn't have some soup for dinner, because the microwave didn't work. I pointed out that before the microwave there was the "pot on top of the stove" concept, and as our stove is gas and not electric, this method remained a possibility.

"But," she said, "our stove has an electric spark igniter."

It was then that I saw some field mice peer thoughtfully in through the window.

(Once introduced to the concept of the match, though, she caught on instantly and did some impressive maneuvers with tortillas and the burner. The field mice then decided that had easier business up the street.)

I must say though, I am decidedly more impatient with power outages in the suburbs than in the country, even though power outages in the 'burbs are much more pleasant (The water still works, an incomparable benefit.) Virginia Power informs us that our power will be on by 10 PM today, and I'm peeved, instead of being grateful.

The field mice will doubtless be after me soon as well.

No comments: