Thursday, November 04, 2004

This article in the Globe was amusing, on how uber-liberals in Cambridge, Mass. are dealing with a Kerry defeat. Some of the choice remarks:

"It just blows my mind," said Susan Corcoran, 60, who bundled herself against the wind near Central Square. "I really can't believe there are that many people across the county who are going to wrap themselves around morals as a reason to vote for Bush."

NASCAR dads. Security moms. Karl Rove. Corcoran spit them all out like poisonous seeds. "It infuriates me," she said. "Like I don't have any morals because I voted for a guy who at least has some common sense?"

"I wouldn't want to live in Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, where they're so concerned about how much you go to church and how moral you are," Corcoran said. "At least I live here. I wouldn't want to live anyplace else."

And you wonder why the Democrats get smoked in Red America, such arrogance. Trust me, people in Kansas, Missouri, and Wisconsin (which went Kerry, if I'm not mistaken) are tickled pink you plan to stay away. I watched (or endured, perhaps) the "Daily Show" last night, and Senator Chuck Schumer was a guest, another man who does not seem to "get it." He started ripping Wyoming as a place where people drive too fast (this from a New Yorker?) and saying "maybe we need more reruns of 'Bonanza.'" Keep it up.

The language of war and terrorism, which Bush used to question Kerry's leadership, rang hollow for Theresa O'Neill, 35, a real estate broker sipping a coffee with her brother, John, at the 1369 Coffee Shop.

"The whole war on terrorism -- what is the war on terrorism?" O'Neill asked, her voice thickening with irony. "It's like a bogeyman, and you can't fight the bogeyman."

Just click your heels together, and say, "There is no terrorism, there is no terrorism." Dream on, buddy.

Near Central Square at Broadway Bicycle School, Liz Coffey, 30, tinkered with the guts of a bike. A Green Party supporter, she was less surprised by the turnout.

"I don't have a lot of faith in my fellow Americans to do the right thing," Coffey said. "I'm always a pessimist when it comes to elections, probably because I grew up under Reagan."

I guess "do the right thing" means vote Green and agree with me, which is pretty hysterical right there. "Growing up under Reagan" for her (30 years old) would mean she was ages 6-14. Yeah, I'm sure those bitter memories are still fresh.

Bunny Diehl agrees.

Fascinating find in Britain: a Roman cosmetic tin from the Second Century AD, and it still had finger marks inside.

And here's a good one: a University of New Hampshire freshman was kicked out of his dorm and had to live in his car, until the University dropped its charges this week. His crime? He put up a flier in the dorm saying that freshmen girls were overweight and should take the stairs. UNH charged him with "harassment, disorderly conduct, violating affirmative action policies and lying," and also "imposed sanctions against [him], including probation through May 30, 2006, a mandatory ethics meeting with a judicial office official by Nov. 15, counseling, and writing a 3,000-word reflection essay." The word "draconian" comes to mind. Eventually the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education was called in and the matter was settled in the student's favor.

No comments: