Thursday, June 17, 2004

Right-o! It seems Americans prefer to use Briticisms. Lord knows I am guilty, and I think it's due to the large amount of British tv and radio I consume. I always find myself saying things like "I'd like a cuppa" when I want a cup of coffee, or even that something is "brilliant" when it is pleasing.

A fastball thrown by Samuel Huntington, clearly stating that America was and still is a highly religious and essentially Christian nation. And because of its greath wealth and great religiosity, it is (dare I say) exceptional.

Like a pin to a balloon -- Waugh on Joyce: he wrote absolute rot, you know. He began writing quite well and you can see him going mad as he wrote, and his last books - only fit to be set for examinations at Cambridge. Ha!

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! And now, according to an exhaustive Vatican study, we find that the Inquisition was not as brutal as many thought -- only 1.8% of trials ended in execution, and in Spain, of the 125,000 trials, only 2% of defendents were doomed.

The things you find when you hang off a cliff -- a 1,250 year old Christian grave was found on a cliff in Pembrokeshire, Wales. An ancient corgi grave perhaps? One can always hope.

No comments: