Thursday, September 16, 2004

Whoa, Doc

I hereby declare a ban of at least 24 hours of any more postings on the English and the hunt ban. England jails people who shoot burglars for goodness sake, and that raised barely an eyebrow compared to the din over banning the chasing a red fuzzy creature across other people's property, trampling their corn and not giving a damn, and I daresay that half of these save the hunt people were all for banning guns too so the yobs wouldn't have them. No I've decided I can't really work myself up about the hunt ban in Britain.

As for me I'm off to read that glorious paen to American individual freedom: "The Armed Citizen." At least here 80 year old widows can exercise the ancient common law right of self defense within one's curtilage (much less one's household) without being put in the chokey. (And exercise it they do by golly. Judging from the reports, those 80 year old widows are crack shots.)

Still to any Britons who do want to hunt with dogs and are groovy with individual liberties and have made the wrenching decision to shake the dust of the UK from their feet and go elsewhere, may I be so bold as to recommend the pleasures of the Commonwealth of Virginia? For those who look good in pinks, I am given to understand that the Hunt in Middleburg is quite good. For the more adventurous bear hunting is a popular sport in the Southwest. Indeed rumor has it that should Roger Scruton quit the UK over the hunting issue, he will, as have many Englishmen before him, settle in Virginia. I certainly hope so as we have a plethora of squirrels and deer for which the Texas defense (they needed killin') should certainly be invoked.

No comments: