Saturday, February 07, 2009

And, since I am here turning the lights back on and looking in the fridge to see if there is beer left, what the hell has happened to the Obama administration in just two weeks?

Weren't they supposed to be the uber-competent ones? Didn't they have the Best Campaign Ever?

After two weeks, though, I refuse to draw any conclusions. I mean, I'm a historian not a blogger. But one thing is does make me realize is how vapid comments on "brilliant campaigns" are. If it was all about the brilliance of campaign organizations, then Bob Shrum wouldn't have been employed as many times as he has been. It seems to me that there is a large dose of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle in running any campaign...if you know where the object is, you don't know it's speed, and vice versa. Academics...and consultants, for obvious reasons, would like to pretend that campaigns are rational applications of social science.

But, gosh, it turns out they predict nothing. Do you think that might be because of the actions and contingencies of millions of voters? Dr. Potomac, I call on you.

No comments: