Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Oh Puh-lese!

This article by Marc Fisher had precisely the opposite effect upon me than I believe it intended. It laments the poor teachers who must work summer to make ends meet. Why take dear "Lorelei Emma, a 28-year-old special-ed teacher at Columbia Elementary in Annandale, teaches summer school in the mornings, tutors, dog-sits, house-sits and drives out to Lexington each weekend to work at her family's flower shop. Even with all that, and with mom's help on her student loan and car payments, Emma lives in a small bedroom with no closet in a Fairlington house she shares with two roommates.

Last week, Emma applied for work at a Whole Foods store -- she and her teacher buddies call it "Whole Paycheck" -- "because maybe I could get a discount on groceries there."

"I love my kids, and I love teaching, but I can't afford it," Emma says. "I can't be a 30-year-old and expect my mom to keep paying for my car." With a master's degree and four years of experience, Emma makes $49,000 in the Fairfax schools. But housing and other costs in this area make seemingly decent salaries feel like poverty wages."

Cry me a river, Lorelei Emma. With 4 years experience and a JD, I got paid less than you do AND I only got 2 weeks off not a whole summer. Even in the years I was making CONSIDERABLY less than you, I managed to live quite comfortably in Arlington, socking away some retirement funds each year, going to plays and concerts, and for most of the time living on my own in a one bedroom apartment or in an apartment or a nice house (both of which had closets)with roomates. At one point until he could clunk no more, I even had a car. And what's more I am a financial idiot. My budgeting and financial restraint are definitely not what they should be. And you know what? I had and still have a great life.

So, whining teachers, shut up and get off my lawn! Not a penny more of payment or a jot of sympathy will you get out of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are the biggest idiot! I hope you stick your big head up your arse and suffocate.