Saturday, March 05, 2005

My dear friend the Ombudsman is certainly correct. We dress, not for ourselves (silly self-expression is an American individualist fantasy), but for other people; we dress so that other people perceive us in a particular way. And nothing gives me more pleasure than to be seen as a young fogey, albeit greying 'round the temples these last couple of years.

Tweed occasionally, bowtie always, polished shoes when the weather is right (I must admit to wearing rather rakish modern boots when our weather turns sour), oftentimes a wool cardigan sweater in lieu of jacket. Neat, pressed, smart, professional. Academics should not be mistaken for bankers or drifters. Trust me, if I could pull off wearing spats, a waistcoat, and a watch chain and fob, I probably would.

A fellow professor came up to me in the library recently and told me of a conversation he overheard between two students. One said to the other, "The only people who wear bowties are Nation of Islam guys and conservatives."

I wonder if they've decided which I am...

No comments: